Youthful and Sexy Fashion Since 1996
View recent Wayne Cooper Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the Wayne Cooper Fashion Label
Born in the East End of London, legendary Australian-based fashion designer Wayne Cooper grew up with a love of fashion and was well known for his personal style. Initially determined to study and practise law in the UK, his love of fashion won out and Wayne left London for Australia in 1986 to study fashion design at East Sydney Technical College.
Wayne was soon thriving within the fashion industry, working in a successful business partnership for 5 years, before going it alone with his first label ‘Brave’ in 1991. With the help of renowned stylist and long-time collaborator, Jean Ferraud, the cheeky rock n’ roll label soon reached the dizzying heights of the Australian fashion industry.
In 1996, just five years after the Wayne broke ground with Brave; he launched his signature label ‘WAYNE COOPER’ – a more exclusive collection to complement the Brave label, which was aimed primarily at the younger demographic. Wayne completed his skyrocket to the top of the Australian fashion industry when Brave was replaced by ‘Wayne Cooper’ in 2002 – a youthful, sexy and contemporary label that as of 2012 was stocked in Myer department stores throughout Australia
Things have continued to go from strength to strength for Wayne Cooper and as of 2012 the brand has expanded to include menswear, childrenswear, shoes, bags and accessories, alongside the dedicated womenswear lines. The Wayne Cooper collections are available through three standalone stores – two in Sydney and one in Melbourne. Additionally, the Wayne Copper collections are stoked in some of the world’s most desirable department stores, including Browns, Neiman Marcus, Fenwick, Selfridges, Bergdof Goodman and Henri Bendel.
Wayne Cooper Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 1986: London-born Wayne Cooper leaves a promising law career in England behind and emigrated to Australia to study fashion design at East Sydney Technical College.
- 1991: Wayne launches his first fashion label, ‘Brave’ and with collaborator, stylist Jean Ferraud, the brand rockets to the pinnacle of the Australian fashion label.
- 1995: Wayne Cooper had the great honour of being the opening show at the first ever Australian Fashion Week. Ever since then the brand has become known for their high voltage shows, attracting some of the world’s greatest supermodels, including Amber Valetta, Sarah Murdoch, Linda Evangelista and Eva Herzigova.
- 1996: Wayne’s more exclusive signature label ‘WAYNE COOPER’ is launched to accompany the youth-focused Brave.
- 1998: Wayne Cooper gains international recognition when he shows his winter range at the Osaka Collections in Japan to rave reviews.
- 2001: Wayne shows his exclusive WAYNE COOPER collection at New York Fashion Week for the first time.
- 2002: The fashion label Brave is replaced with ‘Wayne Cooper’, a contemporary and sexy label focused on the younger demographic. Also this year, Wayne is featured in the documentary ‘Front Row’, which shadowed him for the exciting month leading up to Mercedes Australian Fashion Week.
- 2004: Wayne appears on television once again, this time as a guest on the Australian television series ‘What Not To Wear’.
- 2007: Wayne Cooper’s influence in the Australian fashion industry is recognised, with a guest judge spot on cycle 3 of Australia’s Next Top Model.
- 2010: As part of G’Day LA (an event that celebrates all things Australian across the United States), Wayne put on a show with Myer to showcase his Winter 2010 collection.
The Wayne Cooper Brand Aesthetic
Each year Wayne Cooper visits international mills to source the finest fabrics for his top quality garments. His collections feature a cheeky rock n’ roll aesthetic, while keeping the sophisticated tailoring and chic silhouettes Wayne is so well known for. With romantic overtones, Wayne Cooper creates extensive line that incorporates workwear, casual-wear and eveningwear that keep up with the current seasonal trends. The classic signature Wayne Cooper aesthetic has won the brand many a celebrity fan, including Faye Dunaway, Talitha Getty, Charlotte Rampling and Michelle Pfeiffer.
The Future of the Wayne Cooper Fashion Label
In the future of this iconic Australian fashion label expect to see more standout shows at Mercedes Australian Fashion Week, as well as critically acclaimed showcases throughout the world. As one of the most well respected names in the Australian fashion industry, Wayne Cooper seems set to continue his astronomical rise to the absolute pinnacle of his trade.
Visit the official Wayne Cooper website, here.