Fashion Label by Sally McDonald and Micah Hamdorf
View recent Rittenhouse Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog.
Introduction to the Rittenhouse Fashion Label
Founded by fashion designer Sally McDonald and graphic designer Micah Hamdorf, ‘Rittenhouse’ is a high end casual fashion label from Sydney, Australia which creates beautifully executed menswear and womenswear. Rittenhouse is named after the Philadelphia square where designer Sally abd Micah were living at the time when they decided to set up their own label after working together and separately on projects for Stussy and PAM.
Since inception, the Rittenhouse fashion label has continues to go from strength to strength, adding childrenswear, accessories and unisex denim lines, as well as collaborating with some of the world’s finest artists on their seasonal collections and limited edition capsules. As of 2012, the Rittenhouse collections were available in prestigious boutiques throughout Australia, as well as in Japan, Canada, Europe, UK, America, Singapore and New Zealand. The brand also has an impressive online profile including being stocked by Garbstore, OiPolloi and their own e-boutique.
Rittenhouse Fashion Labels: Key Dates
- 1997: The ‘Rittenhouse’ story begins when fashion designer Sally McDonald and graphic designer Micah Hamdorf meet via mutual friends in Melbourne and fall in love.
- 2007: The Rittenhouse fashion label collaborates with British outerwear brand Mackintosh to create a limited edition coat, which merges Rittenhouse’s street smart designs and graphics with Mackintosh’s traditional rubberized cotton trench. The reinvigoration of the classic coat features a hand-printed detachable wool-flannel liner in Rittenhouse’s signature ‘checkers’ design.
- 2009:/span> Rittenhouse team up with Swiss artist husband and wife duo Michael Husmann and Pascale Mira Tschaeni to create a colourful and textured capsule clothing collection, featuring both menswear and womenswear. The capsule line offers beautifully embroidered and printed fabrics, which effortlessly takes the artist work from easel to garments. Also this year, Rittenhouse collaborates with Sydney-based architect Stefan Lie to create leather sandals with Japanese company Tokuyama.
- 2010: The Rittenhouse fashion label collaborate with Japanese artist Ikko Taniuchi for the Autumn/Winter 2012 collection.
- 2011: Rittenhouse team up with another artist, Australian Gemma Smith translating the tangle paintings into a range of silk womenswear pieces. Gemma’s freehand twirls and loops over a colour pop background perfectly balance out the crisp and signature silhouettes of Rittenhouse.
- 2012: Rittenhouse are once again on the collaboration train, this time with artist Lucas Grogan for the ‘Lucas Grogan X Rittenhouse capsule line as part of the Autumn/Winter 2012 collection, which features a signature Grogan slogan print.
Aesthetic of the Rittenhouse Brand
The Rittenhouse menswear and womenswear collections utilise quality fabrics, subtle details and is based around simple classic shapes with asymmetric pockets and subtle print detailing which is all manufactured in Austrailia, making the label popular amongst fellow designers and fashionista’s alike. The brand often collaborates with some of the world’s finest conceptual artists, including the likes of Gemma Smith, Ikko Taniuchi and Lucas Grogan, to create unique prints tat fit seamlessly into the Rittenhouse seasonal collections.
Visit the official Rittenhouse website, here.