Australian High End Womenswear
View recent Rachel Gilbert Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the Rachel Gilbert Fashion Label
Rachel Gilbert began her foray into the fashion industry training at the prestigious Whitehouse Institute of Design. Fresh from training Gilbert walked straight into role with legendary Australian fashion house, Lisa Ho, were se continued to one her design skills. She was soon noticed, and from there she was headhunted for the Head Designer position at Nicky Hilton’s label, Chick, which saw Gilbert promoting the high profile brand in the US fashion industry, splitting her time between fashion capitals LA and New York.
Fashion Designer Rachel Gilbert
After two successful years at Chick, Rachel Gilbert returned to her native Australia, taking on the Womenswear Designer at Morrissey. Using her years of experience in the fashion industry and the vast number of contacts made over that time, Rachel makes a solo break into the fashion industry in 2007 with her namesake fashion label, Rachel Gilbert. As they say, the rest is history, with Rachel Gilbert now being one of Australia’s most well known and well-respected fashion labels, known for undeniably feminine pieces with luxurious embellishments.
Rachel Gilbert dresses have become a regular feature on the red carpet, with stars like Taylor Swift and Natalie Bassingwaighte, being ‘papped’ in the label’s garments. As of 2011 the Rachel Gilbert brand was stocked in 85 boutiques across Australia, as well as through the flagship boutique in Sydney. Additionally, the Rachel Gilbert collections are available throughout the globe in some of the world’s finest boutiques, including Texas’ Tissu Couture, Singapore’s Retail Therapy, Istanbul’s Beymen Turkey, Dublin’s Covet and Beirut’s Tuten.
Rachel Gilbert Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 2001: Fresh from training at the prestigious Whitehouse Institute of Design, Rachel Gilbert began honing her design skills with legendary Australian designer Lisa Ho.
- 2002: Rachel Gilbert shows her first collection at Mercedes Australian Fashion week.
- 2007: Rachel Gilbert triumphantly re-launches her namesake label at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week.
- 2010: Rachel Gilbert launches her Spring/Summer 2010 collection at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week with a standalone show, to great critical acclaim.
- 2011: The Rachel Gilbert brand introduces a Ready To Wear womenswear line to her range, as a more casual companion to her Evening Wear collections. Also this year, Rachel Gilbert opens her first flagship boutique in Sydney’s Paddington, which as well as stocking the brand’s mainline collections, offers exclusive bridal and bridesmaid styling appointments in-store.
Future of the Rachel Gilbert Fashion Label
In the future the Rachel Gilbert fashion label intends to expand overseas, with plans already in place to launch the label in London. Rachel Gilbert said of the plans “We have aligned with some major international department stores, including Harrods, and will be devoting a lot of energy into building the brand awareness overseas. We have also appointed a highly regarded PR agency in London to officially launch the brand in line with the autumn/winter 12 collection.”
Visit the official Rachel Gilbert online boutique, here.