Fashion with Attitude Since 2000
View recent One Teapoon Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the One Teaspoon Fashion Label
The One Teaspoon story starts with an 18 year old Jamie Blakey jumping on a bus from her hometown of Queensland to Australia’s fashion capital, Sydney with only a bag full of fabric, a few ideas and a whole hap of energy. With no formal training, just a unique vision for her brand, Jamie founded her womenswear label, One Teaspoon, in 2000 from the humble surroundings of her bedroom floor in Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
In just over eleven years the One Teaspoon fashion label has come a long way from the first 10 piece collection mostly thanks to Jamie’s motivation, creativity and ingenuity. As of 2011, the brand is still Northern Beaches-based, yet no longer run from a bedroom and instead of 10 piece collections, the One Teaspoon collections are made up of four product ranges:
- Denim: The denim range is very much at the crux of the One Teaspoon brand, with the signature denim shorts being ‘must haves’ for any young fashionista’s wardrobe.
- Fashion: The fashion line is made up of the signature designer t-shirts, right through to beautiful hand beaded silk dresses.
- The Defenders: The defenders line is all about the military look – distressed fine jerseys and washed back drills.
- Swim: This range is full of fashion you can swim in – Italian Lycra, Cotton voiles and tee shirting, with brief yet cute cuts.
One Teaspoon Swimwear 2011
From the beach to the red carpet and back again, the One Teaspoon product range has something for everyone. And as of 2011 the One Teaspoon clothing and accessories are stocked in over 200 stores in 32 countries world, including three standalone boutiques in Sydney, Barneys and Restir in Japan, Holt Renfrew in Canada, and online giant Asos are already embracing the cool label with open arms.
Aesthetic and Philosophy of One Teaspoon Fashion
“Fantastically Rebellious, Sex-Infused, Old School, Rock & Roll, Glamour.” – One Teaspoon.
Jamie and her design team consistently create collections for the nonchalant fashionista with a twist. When creating each collection Jamie draws from a range of eclectic inspirations – transcending trends, each range is both edgy and wearable, the epitome of ‘rebellious cool’.The signature One Teaspoon ‘look’, merging the catwalk aesthetic with the laidback styling of beach culture, has gained the brand a number of celebrity fans, including Nicole Richie, Sophie Monk and Mischa Barton.
Recent Collections of the One Teaspoon Fashion Label
- Autumn/Winter 2011: The Winter 2011 collection, entitled ‘The Wanderer’ is a mash-up of dishevelled chic and masculine grunge, with its simple, understated and oversized pieces in contrasting textures of wool, velvet, cotton, silk and of course denim. The collection is made up of distressed denims, stretch velvet tailoring, chunky knits and kimono capes, in a muted colour palette of black, grey, and champagne with colour pops of teal and nude rose. This was followed later in the Winter Season by ‘The Wanderer 2’ which continues the line with further chunky knits, classic rock inspired t-shirts, capes and elegant silk pieces. The colour palette consists of mainly black, grey and cream with colour bursts of burnt orange, vibrant leopard print and a vintage Seventies inspired floral print.
One Teaspoon Autumn/Winter 2011
- Spring/Summer 2011-2012: The Summer 2012 collection, entitled ‘Whisky, Mystics & Men’ features the ever present signature One Teaspoon denim, in every variation imaginable, with the distressed denim, as ever, being the star of the show. Also featured in the collection are the hot seasonal trends of printed maxi skirts and dresses, layered mini dresses, cropped tanks, oversized kaftans and loose shirts. The colour palette features desert shades of burnt orange, sunny yellow and khaki, teamed with forest greens and exotic blue prints. Of course there was also a good helping of the One Teaspoon favourite, leopard print, which features on maxi and mini dresses, as well as on jeans.
Future of the One Teaspoon Fashion Label
One Teaspoon is certainly a fashion label to keep a close eye on, as the brand continues to expand its product lines and presence in domestic and international markets.
Visit the official One Teaspoon label, here.