Of English, French and Scottish descent, Miranda Kerr was born on the 20th of April, 1983 in Sydney, New South Wales to mother Therese and father John. She was raised in the small town of Gunnedah, where she spent and active childhood racing motorbikes and riding horses on her grandmother’s farm and in the surrounding countryside.
Who is Miranda Kerr?
Miranda was discovered in 1997 at the tender age of 13 after winning an annual Australia-wide modelling search hosted by Dolly magazine and Impulse fragrances. Following her successful photo shoot (that wasn’t without it’s critics due to Miranda’s young age) she went on to sign with the Sydney division of Chic management. She was soon starring in campaigns for Australian Surf labels, Billabong, One Teaspoon, Tigerlily and Roxy. The Miranda Kerr star was on the rise…
Miranda Kerr on the cover of Dolly magazine after winning their 1997 model search competition. (Image Source)
The beachwear ads greatly increased Miranda Kerr’s profile in the Australian and Asian industry, but to gain that international recognition and pursue her career further she relocated to New York, where she quickly secured a modelling contract with Next Model Management. Miranda soon found herself in high demand, being booked for various runway and print campaigns for the likes of Baby Phat, Lisa Ho, Levi’s, Alex Perry, Voodoo Dolls, Nicola Finetti, Bettina Liano, Roberto Cavalli, L.A.M.B and Betsey Johnson amongst others.
With Miranda’s success came a number of print features for some of the world’s most prestigious fashion magazines such as Australian Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and Elle thanks to an international campaign with Maybelline New York. Additionally, she was selected for a number of television advertisements for the likes of Portmans and Veet.
However, it was in 2007 when the big break came for Miranda Kerr, as the first Australian model to sign a contract with iconic lingerie label, Victoria’s Secret. Replacing Gisele Bundchen as a Victoria’s Secret Angel, Miranda was joining the likes of Adriana Lima, Heidi Klum, Alessandra Ambrosio, Selita Ebanks and Karolina Kurkova. With televised runway shows being aired across four continents, Miranda had reached ‘Supermodel’ status and since then she hasn’t looked back.
Miranda Kerr wearing the infamous Victoria’s Secret Fantasy Treasure Bra in their November 2011 Runway Show. (Image source)
With continued success, both in her native Australia and throughout the rest of the globe, the star of Miranda Kerr does not seem set to fall any time soon.
Here at Australian Fashion Review Blog, as part of our mission to promote the best of the Australian fashion industry, we thought it was only fair that we profiled one of our country’s all time greatest models.
An Astronomical Rise: Miranda Kerr Timeline
- Miranda Kerr is born on the 20thof April in Sydney, New South Wales and raised in the small town of Gunnedah.
- Miranda Kerr started modelling at the young age of 13 after signing with Chaay’s Modelling Agency.
- Miranda really gets her break into the modelling industry after entering and winning a nationwide model search hosted by Australia’s Dolly magazine and Impulse fragrances.
- The day before her 14th birthday, Miranda completed her shoot for Dolly magazine, however, the local media was not entirely pleased with the situation, concerned about Miranda’s young age and the glorification of young girls within the beauty and fashion industry as a whole. Luckily, the controversy didn’t affect Miranda’s career and she was soon signed with the Sydney division of Chic Management.
- Miranda Kerr graduates from All Hallow’s – an all girls private school located in central Brisbane.
- Miranda advances her education with The Academy of Natural Living, completing studies in Nutrition and Health Psychology.
- Miranda Kerr signs for Next Model Management in New York and is soon being booked for campaigns and catwalk shows for a diverse range of designers, such as Ober Jeans, Rock and Republic, Trelise Cooper, Neiman Marcus and Nicola Finetti, to name but a few.
- Miranda appeared in the final episode of TV show Project Runway, as the first model to walk down the catwalk in finalist Daniel Vosovic’s final collection.
- With popularity growing all the time, Miranda lands a lucrative contract with cosmetics brand, Maybelline New York, which involved a print campaign that featured in fashion bibles the likes of Cosmopolitan, Elle and CLEO.
- Miranda Kerr makes her music video debut, featuring several other Next Agency models, for the Pharrel Williams ft. Kanye West single, ‘Number One’.
- Miranda gets her big break when she becomes the first ever Australian model to land a contract with legendary lingerie label, Victoria’s Secret. Replacing Gisele Bundchen as one of the Victoria’s Secret Angels, she joined the likes of Izabel Goulart, Ardriana Lima, Selita Ebanks and Heidi Klum.
- Also this year, Miranda was selected to become the successor of fellow Angel, Alessandra Ambrosio as the face of Victoria’s Secret PINK line – a range of colourful lounge and gym wear.
- The Australian model is signed as the face of Californian fashion label, Arden B for the Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter 2007 collections.
- It was a busy year for Miranda Kerr, with the model also signing a six-figure deal as the face of Clinique fragrance, ‘Happy’, in 2007.
- Miranda replaces fellow Australian model, Megan Gale as the face of Australian department store giant, David Jones.
- With an estimated earnings of $3.5 million (US dollars) for the year, Miranda makes it onto the Forbes list as tenth in the list of the world’s top earning models. The following year she moved one place up the list to 9th with estimated earnings of $3 million.
- Miranda featured in the Spring/Summer 2009 advertising campaign for womenswear fashion label XOXO.
- Miranda parts company with Next Model Management and signs with IMG models.
- To raise awareness about the plight of the endangered koala, Miranda posed nude, chained to a tree on the cover of the July 2009 issue of Rolling Stone Australia.
- In October, Miranda Kerr launches her own organic skin care range, ‘Kora Organics’ with George Moskos. The aim of her skincare line is to inspire people to nurture their bodies and understand the benefits of using organic skincare. All Kora Organics products are made from plant derived and certified organic ingredients that comply with the natural and organic cosmetic ingredient standards. It was only natural that she would be the face of the brand.
Miranda Kerr for XOXO in 2009 (Image Source).
- Miranda appeared in the ever popular Pirelli Calender that was shot by renowned photographer, Terry Richardson.
- Miranda Kerr became the first pregnant model to be shot for a Vogue editorial, when she appeared in Vogue Australia at 6 months pregnant.
- Previously primarily known for her lingerie and calender modelling, Miranda firmly makes her mark on the high fashion scene when she walks the runway for fashion house, Balenciaga’s Spring/Summer 2010 Ready-To-Wear collection. The following season she walked the runway for Italian fashion house, for their Autumn/Winter 2010 collection at Milan Fashion Week, alongside fellow Victoria’s Secret Angels, Doutzen Kroes and Alessandra Ambrosio.
- Also this year, Miranda Kerr featured in campaigns for Jil Sander and Prada and was photographed by Steven Meisel for the cover of Italian Vogue.
- It was a happy year for Miranda in her personal life, following her marriage to actor Orlando Bloom in an intimate ceremony.
Miranda Kerr’s catwalk appearances in 2010 – Balenciaga Spring 2010, Prada Fall 2010, Balenciaga Fall 2010. (Image source).
- It was a busy year on the catwalk for Miranda Kerr, during Paris Fashion Week she walked for Chanel, Lanvin, Loewe, Viktor & Rolf, John Galliano, Stella McCartney, Balenciaga and Christian Dior.
- Miranda was chosen as the Victoria’s Secret Angel chosen to wear the $2.5 million Victoria’s Secret Fantasy Treasure Bra for their November fashion show.
- Also this year, Miranda posed nude for a Harper’s Baazar editorial.
- On the 6thof January Miranda gave birth to her first child with Orlando Bloom, a son they named Flynn Christopher Blanchard Copeland Bloom.
Miranda Kerr’s catwalk appearances in 2011 for Spring 2012 collections – Loewe, Lanvin, Victor & Rolf, Christian Dior, Chanel, Stella McCartney. (Image source)
- In January, Miranda is named as an ambassador for airline, Qantas.
- In July, the Miranda Kerr is immortalised as a waxwork at the Sydney madame Tussauds, joining the likes of Barack Obama, Hugh Jackman, Kylie Minogue and the Dalai Lama. The replica took over four months to create, using over 500 measurements to ensure that the proportions were 100% accurate. Miranda chose a red floor length gown from iconic Australian designer, Alex Perry.
- Miranda features in editorials for British Vogue, Numero Tokyo, Harper’s Bazaar, Love Magazine and V Man.
- Miranda is once again a regular feature on the catwalks, walking or Miu Miu and Chanel.
- Also this year, Miranda features in advertising campaigns for Bally Spring/Summer 2012, Balenciaga Resort 2012, and of course the Victoria’s Secret Spring 2012 campaign as her role as Angel.
Designer Alex Perry admires his gown on the Miranda Kerr waxwork. (Image Source)
Miranda Kerr: Hitting the Headlines and Personal Life
The world has truly fallen in Miranda Kerr and her trademark dimples, which give her girl-next-door appeal, while being incredibly beautiful. It was her exquisite looks that saw Miranda hit the headlines in early 2010, when Sydney banker David Kiely was caught viewing explicit photograpjs of her on his computer, while in the background of a colleague’s live TV interview. In just a few days the interview snippet had become a YouTube sensation, with over 1.3 million views, which resulted in Kiely being suspended from his position – an internet campaign was launched on his behalf, which Miranda herself supported, and in the end the embarrassed banker kept his job. Believe it or not, this incident greatly increased Miranda’s profile with a 100% rise in the number of Google searches for her name.
No stranger to the headlines for her personal life, Miranda found herself the cocus of media attention in 2004, when her then boyfriend, finance broker Adrian Camilleri (who she began dating in 2003) found himself in trouble. Following an Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigation, Camilleri was charged with and found guilty of five counts of fraudulent behaviour. Miranda subsequently ended their relationship. It was later alleged that that Miranda had suffered financially as a result of taking Camilleri’s advice, but no legal action was ever taken.
Miranda Kerr with her son Flynnin British Vogue (Image source)
Following a four year relationship with Jay Lyon, lead singer of the band Tamarama, which ended amicably in 2007, it appeared Miranda had finally found true happiness when she started dating actor, Orlando Bloom. The couple announced their engagement in June 2010 and they married in an intimate ceremony that July. The following year, on the 6th January 2011, Miranda gave birth to their first child, a boy which they named Flynn Christopher Blanchard Copeland Bloom.
A Few Quick Miranda Kerr Facts
- Miranda Kerr practices Nichiren Buddhism, which involves yoga, meditation and spiritual chanting.
- In 2010, Miranda published an inspirational self-help book, entitled ‘Treasure Yourself’ aiming to boost the self-esteem of teenage girls.
- Miranda is a strong supporter of charity, with charitable works for the likes of Wildlife Warriors Worldwide, Children International and Australia Unites, which was a fund raiser for victims of the Australian bush fires that occurred on the 7th of February of 2009.
- In 2007, the Victoria’s Secret Angels, including Miranda Kerr, received a star on the iconic Hollywood walk of fame.
- Miranda doesn’t like her British actor husband, Orlando Bloom to watch her on the catwalk: “I never really want Orlando to be there…it makes me nervous.”
Miranda Kerr with her fellow Victoria’s Secret Angels receiving their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. (Image source)
What’s Next For Miranda Kerr?
In June of 2012, Forbes magazine announced that Miranda Kerr was once again ranked amongst the world’s highest paid models. She ranked at number 7 on the list of the world’s top ten earning models, making $4 million between 1st of May 2011 to the 1st of May 2012. However, she has a long way to go if she is to catch up with the world’s top earning model, Gisele Bundchen, who took home $45 million in the same amount of time. But, with campaigns in 2012 already for Bally, Balenciaga and Victoria Secret, as well as several fashion magazine editorials and catwalk appearances, here at Australian Fashion Review Blog, we think Miranda Kerr, along with her stunning girl-next-door dimples career can only continue to go from strength to strength. Without a doubt, she is one of the most diverse and liked supermodels in the world.
Miranda Kerr for Bally Spring/Summer 2012. (Image source)
Miranda Kerr – Kora Organics Skincare collection campaign shot (Image source)