Womenswear From Sisters Cheryl, Gabrielle and Vanessa
View recent Manning Cartell Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the Manning Cartell Fashion Label
Queensland-born sisters Cheryl, Gabrielle and Vanessa have a wealth of design experience behind them, having all completed formal education and training. Following her completion of a diploma in Dramatic Arts at the Ensamble Studios in Sydney, Cheryl decided that her true passion lay in fashion and went on to complete a diploma in Pattern Making, Draping and Design at Wiska Listwans Haute Couture Academy. Vanessa and Gabrielle followed in their older sister’s footsteps, obtaining diplomas in Design at the School of Visual Arts in Sydney.
Following formal training, Cheryl went on to live in London for three years, working as a fashion and accessory buyer for Mitzi Lorenz, while Vanessa and Gabrielle’s careers in the Australian fashion industry got under way with positions in production, operations and general management. On her return to Australia, Cheryl honed her skills and furthered her career, with stints for some of Australia’s top fashion labels.
The Manning sisters’ combined experience offered the winning combination and in 2006 they founded their namesake womenswear label ‘Manning Cartell’. A joint approach to business has allowed the Manning Cartell to become one of the fastest growing labels in the Australian market – Cheryl is the chief designer, Gabrielle manages the sales, marketing and financial aspects, and Vanessa handles the operational side of the business.
The brand opened their first boutique in Sydney’s Paddington in November of 2006, and less than twelve months later had their first showing at Australin Fashion Week. The Manning Cartell collections were soon being celebrated for feminine, strong and modern aesthetic, with editorial features in the likes of Vogue, Cosmopolitan, WHO Magazine, Cleo, In Style, Grazia, RUUSH and Marie Claire amongst others. The rest, as they say, is history.
Since inception, Manning Cartell has underwent considerable expansion and the product line has grown to include womenswear, swimwear, accessories, jewellery and footwear. As of 2012, Manning Cartell had stand alone boutiques in Paddington, Melbourne and Sydney’s Strand Arcade, and impressive wholesale distribution in Australia through Myer department stores and boutiques nationally. Additionally, the brand is gradually taking over the globe with a growing number of international stockists.
Manning Cartell Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 2006: Sisters Cheryl, Gabrielle and Vanessa Manning, launch their namesake womenswear label ‘Manning Cartell’ with their Autumn/Winter 2006 collection. In November of this year, the brand opened their first flagship boutique in Sydney’s Paddington – less than 12 months later a second stand alone boutique was opened at Sydney’s fashion central, The Strand Arcade.
- 2007: The Manning Cartell fashion label has its debut at Australian Fashion Week.
- 2008: For the Winter 2008 season, Sportsgirl stocked as exclusively designed Manning Cartell range as part of their special designer showcase.
- 2009: The third Manning Cartell stand alone boutique is opened in Melbourne’s GPO.
- 2010: Manning Cartell teams up with Australian jewellery designer to create a line of statement earrings for their Spring/Summer 2010-2011 catwalk show at Melbourne Spring Fashion Week.
- 2011: The Manning Cartell fashion label launched their swimwear line for the Spring/Summer 2011-2012 season.
Aesthetic of the Manning Cartell Fashion Label
“Modern, elegant, feminine, independent and strong” -Manning Cartell
The inspiration behind the brand’s seasonal offerings are wide and varied, and include art, history, architecture, nature and music. The Manning Cartell collections are known for their pared-down aesthetic that is young and contemporary, with a relaxed edgy twist for a look that is effortlessly glamorous. Each seasonal offering packed with texture, colour and prints on innovative silhouettes, all with a detailed quality finish. The brand’s signature aesthetic has resulted in their pieces regularly being featured on Australia’s Next Top Model, as well as attracting many celebrity followers including, Rachel Zoe, Rose Byrne, Dannii Minogue and Casey Burgess.
Visit the official Manning Cartell website, here.