Boutique Jewellery for men and women
View Malachi Jewellery collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Up-and-coming Perth-based designer Alister Yiap caught up with Australian Fashion Review Blog for a few words about the Malachi jewellery label.
What is the Malachi brand?
Alister Yiap is the mastermind behind the Malachi brand, was born in Malaysia in July 1987 and migrated to Perth, Western Australia at the tender age of two where he completed his primary and secondary school. Yiap went on to Study a Bachelor of Arts (Jewellery Design) at Curtin University of Technology and has since participated in numerous state and national exhibitions and initiatives.
The label specialises in Jewellery and its’ various different forms, contemporary hand made pieces to industry designed commissions and collections to couture wearable art. The Malachi label has also recently started branching out to accessories.
How did it all start for your label? When and where was the label founded?
The label started in 2006 whilst in my 2nd year of my Bachelor of Arts (Jewellery Design) where I knew early in my career that I wanted to create a distinctive style and bridge the gap between contemporary and commercial jewellery.
What are the future plans for the label?
Looking forward to continue branching out in to more products to appeal to a larger audience and to take the brand to a national and international level.
Name some inspirations and fellow designers you draw inspiration from.
Geometric lines and patterns tend to be the heart my collections and in particular the relationship between positive and negative spaces. Scott Wilson is an amazing designer who I aspire to be like and am inspired by other notable Australian based jewellery and accessories labels and designers i.e. House of Baulch, Vicki Mason, Julia deVille and Carlier Makigawa.
Name the ideal celebrity that reflects your labels style, or if celebrities have already worn the label – who are they?
Prominent role models in the celebrity world; stars like Beyonce, Kylie and Lady Gaga spring to mind. To date, Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy, Angela Tsun, Troy Buswell, Verity James, Rider Strong and Jacqui Brown have all been spotted wearing Malachi Alister Yiap
Where is the label stocked?
- Behind the Monkey , 479 Beaufort Street, Highgate WA 6003 (08) 9227 7886
- Art Gallery of WA (AGWA) shop, Perth Cultural Centre, Perth WA 6000, (08) 9492 6766 or (08) 9492 6712
- Urban Depot, 117 Oxford St, Leederville WA 6007, (08) 9443 4355
- She Seldom Blushes, Shop 5 Atwell Arcade 122 High Street, Fremantle WA 6160, (08) 9430 8830
- Fremantle Arts Centre, 1 Finnerty Street, Fremantle WA 6160, (08) 9432 9555
- Mundaring Arts Centre, 7190 Great Eastern Highway, Mundaring WA 6073, (08) 9295 3991
- Zara Bryson, Shop 176, 23 St Quentins Avenue, Claremont WA 6010, (08)9384 6936
- 2/502 Hay Street, Subiaco WA 6008, (08) 9381 8669
- Yallingup Galleries, Caves Road, Yallingup WA 6282, (08) 9755 2372
- Love & Kisses, Shop 5 Harbour Drive, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450, (02) 6651 6776
- One White Lie, 16 Ballarat St, Yarraville Vic 3013, (03) 9687 3313
- Fox and Found, Shop2/ 318 Little Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000, (03) 9663 6181
- Bimbo, 279 Rundle Street, Adelaide SA 5000, (08) 8223 4481
Interview conducted in May 2011
Visit the official Malachi website here – http://www.malachialisteryiap.com