Sydney Women’s Clothing Designer
View recent Konstantina Mittas Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog.
Introduction to the Konstantina Mittas Fashion Label
Konstantina Mittas had a rather unconventional start in the fashion industry – following an unsuccessful job interview, got her first ever order after her self-created garment was admired later that night. “I didn’t get the job but I went out that night and everyone wanted what I was wearing, so I just started taking people’s money. How funny is that? I was actually in the toilets at The Establishment – that’s where I got my first clothing order”.
Without any formal education or training, ‘Konstantina Mittas’ officially launched her namesake womenswear label in 2005, and it wasn’t long before the brand was a regular editorial feature in the likes of Vogue Australia, Harpers Bazaar, Oyster YEN, Karen Magazine and Russh. The rest, as they say, is history. As well as a standalone store in Sydney’s Chippendale, stockists of Konstantina Mittas collections include The Grand Social, The Corner Shop and The Candy Shop. A full list of stockists can be found on the official brand website.
Konstantina Mittas Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 2005: Australian fashion designer ‘Konstantina Mittas’ launches her namesake womenswear fashion label.
- 2008: The Konstantina fashion label shows at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week for the first time. This year also marks the start of a long term collaboration with avant-garde Australian jewellery designers ‘2 by Lyn & Tony’, when they were asked to created the accessories for Tina Konstantina’s inaugural showing at Fashion Week.
- 2009: Tina Konstantina is selected as a finalist for the L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival, a feat that she repeated the following year.
- 2010: Konstantina Mittas collaborates with Sportsgirl to create a capsule collection entitled ‘Flight of the Stone Angel’, which takes inspiration from the sculptural form of chiselled silhouettes. Konstantina is in fine company, previous collaborators of Sportsgirl have included Ellery, Arnsdorf, Bec & Bridge and Aje. Also this year, the first Konstantina Mittas standalone store opens in Sydney’s Chippendale, which also includes a studio and exhibition space.
- 2011: Konstantina Mittas creates a capsule range in conjunction with The Grand Social, which comprises of a series of simple separates in luxe fabrics, including two sheer lace ponchos.
Aesthetic of the Konstantina Mittas Brand
Each Konstantina Mittas collection is sharp, edgy and artistic, with a contemporary feminine appeal. The Australian queen of avant-garde design, Konstantina has become renowned for her unique silhouettes, daring designs and signature crow-link wing motif. Inspired by sculpture and structural shapes, she utilises the intricacy of master construction techniques, and combines this with her love of the avant-garde, resulting in a uniquely Konstantina Mittas garment. The brand uses only the finest natural fabrics, often working with the Italian mills that provide the fabric for the likes of Commes des Garcons and Prada.
Celebrity fans of the brand include Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Melissa George and Rose Byrne.
Visit the official Konstantina Mittas website, here.