View recent Ellery Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog.
Introduction to the Ellery Fashion Label
Ellery Fashion Designer Kym Ellery
Perth-born designer Kym Ellery was born into the world of fashion and creativity, surrounded by her mother’s art, New Zealander who worked in print making, textiles and ceramics. Following completion of a certificate of Fashion Design at her native Perth, Kym relocated to London to attend the prestigious fashion school Central St. Martins. At the summer school Kym studied Fashion Illustration and Sketchbook Building, further developing her design skills, preparing her for a career within the fashion industry.
Following study, instead of leaping straight into the creation of her own fashion label, instead gaining more experience in the fashion industry as part of the creative team at Russh Magazine, watching the magazine grow and develop into the one of the most renowned and cutting edge fashion publications in Australia.
After four successful years at Russh, in 2007 Kym decided to use her experience and skills with the launch of her namesake womenswear fashion label ‘Ellery’. Kim said of her decision to start her own label: “I felt like there was a small gap in the market for well made, fashion forward clothing. Clothing that came out of a label that created its own trends yet refreshed its image each season – as we see in many of the international design houses.”
The womenswear label soon gained the attention of the fashion press, with prominent editorials in the likes of Vogue Australia, Harpers Bazaar, Russh and Madison, helping sky-rocket Ellery to the pinnacle of the Australian fashion label. The fortunes of Ellery continued to improve, with collaborations with some of Australia’s finest fashion labels, including Sportsgirl and Graz.
As of early 2012, the Ellery fashion label produces three collections a year, which are stocked in some of the finest boutiques throughout Australia including Victoria’s Alice Euphemia, Cactus Jam and Green With Envy; New South Wales’s Corner Shop and Tuchuzy; and Western Australia’s Black Beret and Ricarda. Additionally, the brand’s collections are available through Myer department stores nationwide.
Ellery Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 2007: Perth-born fashion designer Kym Ellery launches her namesake womenswear label ‘Ellery’.
- 2009: Ellery launches its online boutique, which also features videos, runway images and editorial pictures of the latest collections.
- 2010: The Ellery fashion label collaborates with fellow Australian fashion label, Sportsgirl to create a capsule collection. Also, this year the brand collaborates with artist Emily Fitzgerald as part of Rosemount Australian Fashion Week’s Being Born Again Project.
- 2011: Kym Ellery receives the Prix De Marie Claire ‘Best Up & Coming Designer Award’. Also this year Kym re-enters the publishing world with a new glossy ‘The Ellery Gazette’, which showcased the work of the photographers, stylists and others that have collaborated with the label since its inception. Only 250 of the first issue were printed, but caused such interest that the following issue were made available for pre-order.
- 2012: Ellery collaborates with Australian eyewear label Graz to create a capsule sunglasses collection for the fall/Winter 2012 season.
Aesthetic of the Ellery Fashion Label
The Ellery aesthetic focuses on well-cut fabrics and avant-garde inspired designs – forward, yet feminine silhouettes with a rough edge. The architectural, minimalist and chic designs have gained the attentions of some of the world’s finest fashion publications, as well as a request for pieces from Madonna’s stylist. The wearable designs have been spotted on many a stylish celebrity, including Dita von Teese, Nicole Richie, Georgia Jagger, Eva Mendes, Natalie Imbruligia, Jess Hart, Abbey Lee, Catherine McNeil and Lara Bingle.
Future of the Ellery Fashion Label
Over the previous few years Ellery have been particularly successful in the Australian fashion industry with ShopBop and Myer powering domestic expansion, with the brand hoping to open a retail space of their own in the next 12 months. Additionally, international expansion is high on the Ellery priorities list, with plans gradually coming into fruition.
Visit the official Ellery website, here.