Structured, Tailored, Functional and Cutting-Edge
View recent Dion Lee Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the Dion Lee Fashion Label
Sydney-born fashion designer ‘Dion Lee’ is one of Australia’s most exciting and sought after names in the fashion industry. The buzz around Dion was already rising, upon his graduation from the Sydney Institute of Technology in 2007, and was reached fever pitch a few years later, when he presented his first solo catwalk show at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week. Dion certainly managed to live up to the hype with his namesake womenswear label, when just a year after his debut at Fashion Week he receives the New Designer Award at the 2010 L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival.
Since then things have gone from strength to strength for Dion Lee and his brand. As of 2012, the Dion Lee collections were being picked up by an increasing number of stockists across Australia, including Australian Capital Territory’s Momento, David Jones and Land’s End; Queensland’s Joy Hysteric and The New Guard; and Victoria’s Green With Envy, Elle Boutique and Dillettante. Additionally, the Dion Lee fashion label is gaining momentum in international markets with Hong Kong’s Bauhaus and Singapore’s Inhabit stocking the brand’s collections. A full list of stockist can be found on the official Dion Lee website.
Dion Lee Fashion Label: A Timeline Snapshot
- Australian fashion designer ‘Dion Lee’ graduates from the fashion school of the prestigious Sydney Institute of Technology.
- Dion won second place lace in the Crosier Eveningwear Award for a design inspired by the Tibetan Knot of Eternity. The dress was made from handmade rope and woven from over 200 balls of cotton yarn.
- It was a year of award wins for Dion Lee, with the young designer receiving the Westfield Fashion Graduate of the Year Award, as well as the Prix de Marie Claire Award for the Best Up and Coming Designer.
- Dion Lee has his first solo catwalk show at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week for the Spring/Summer 2009-2010 season, at the Kings Cross Car Park in Sydney.
- In a big moment for the brand, a Dion Lee creation features on the front cover of Vogue Australia, worn by model Abbey Lee.
- Dion Lee wins the New Designer Award at L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival and followed this achievement with an impressive show at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week that resulted in orders from the like of Net-A-Porter and David Jones.
- Dion joins forces with car manufacturer Audi to design an exclusive run of limited edition T-shirts in five designs, in conjunction with the release of the new Audi A1.
- The Dion Lee fashion label looks set to take on the UK market by signing with London PR company Relative MO, joining the likes of Mary Katrantzou, Sykes and Erdem. As part of the signing, Relative MO will embark on a series of press presentations in Paris, New York and London, showing the latest Dion Lee collection.
- The Dion label fashion labels takes part in The Campaign for Wool event, which marked the start of a five year initiative to promote the environmental benefits of wool and support the future of Australian fashion.
- Dion Lee teams up with Australian label chain store ‘Cue’ to create a work wear inspired diffusion line, which strikes a balance between modern and classic style. Dion said of the collaboration: “I think it’s interesting to collaborate with a larger company and to align yourself with brands with similar values. It introduces my work to a new market, which has to be positive…The pieces are not a watered down version of my own products – it’s an additional capsule.”
- The Dion Lee fashion label makes its debut at London Fashion Week with their Autumn/Winter 2012 collection entitled ‘Sequence Breathing’, which is inspired by breathing and the movement of air. The collection was topped off with shoes from Kanye West, styling by Christine Centenera and a film by Lorin Askill.
Aesthetic of the Dion Lee Fashion Label
The Dion Lee signature aesthetic is inspired by the construction of clothing and traditional tailoring techniques, which are translated into structured, tailored, functional and cutting-edge collections. Drawing upon architecture, mechanics and nature as references, Dion Lee demonstrates a unique balance between organic, and that which is constructed. The result is highly conceptual womenswear with a strong philosophy of functionality and wearability.
Working women hunt out the brand’s sleek tailored jackets, while party girls are patrons of his innovative cocktail dresses. It is this duality that forms a key role in the Dion Lee aesthetic – modern versus classic, structured verses fluid, and understated verses verbose.
Visit the official Dion Lee website, here.