She’s Feminine and Sexy, she’s gentle and edgy, Shes Cohen et Sabine
View recent Cohen et Sabine Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog.
Introduction to the Cohen et Sabine Fashion Label
Australian fashion designer, Natalie Cohen landed firmly on the fashion scene in 2000, when she takes part in the New Generation Show at Mercedes Australian Fashion Week. In 2002, the time was right for Natalie to launch her womenswear fashion label, ‘Cohen et Sabine’, which soon been known for its distinctive mix of antique sensibility, with a refined contemporary touch.
In 2005, just a few years after the brand’s inception, Cohen et Sabine showed its first solo collection at Australian Fashion Week, to instant critical acclaim. Soon, the brand was becoming a regular editorial feature in the likes of Vogue Australia, Harpers Bazaar, Madison, Marie Claire, Oyster and Yen. The rest, as they say, is history.
As of 2012, the Cohen et Sabine collections were stocked in 45 boutiques throughout Australia, including eight David Jones department stores. The brand is also beginning to establish itself in the international market, with a gradual increase in interest from boutiques in the US and Europe. However, in March of 2012, Cohen et Sabine closed down their only standalone boutique that opened little over a year earlier in late 2010, leaving the future of the brand looking uncertain.
Cohen et Sabine Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 2000: Australian fashion designer Natalie Cohen, lands on the fashion radar when she takes part in the New Generation Show at Mercedes Australian Fashion Week.
- 2002: Natalie Cohen officially launches her womenswear fashion label, ‘Cohen et Sabine’.
- 2005: In a positive moment for the brand, Cohen et Sabine stages its first solo show at Australian Fashion week, with a collection that is named as one of the top three. The brand has continued to show
- 2007: The Cohen et Sabine brand goes international and launches in Japan.
- 2008: Cohen et Sabine teams up with fellow Australian fashion label ‘Sportsgirl’ to create an exclusive collection.
- 2009: During the worldwide financial crisis, Cohen et Sabine were forced to call in administrators – it is a testament to the brand’s longevity that they managed to survive.
- 2010: The Cohen et Sabine fashion label opens its first flagship boutique on Paddington’s William St. Founder Natalie Cohen said of the store launch: “It’s only taken us 10 years as a brand to launch our flagship store…Slow and steady wins the race, right?”
- 2012: Cohen et Sabine unfortunately closes down it’s … leaving the future of the brand looking uncertain.
Aesthetic of the Cohen et Sabine Brand
With each of the Cohen et Sabine collections, Natalie draws inspiration from a wide range of broad library of antique fabrics, inherited knowledge in decorative arts and time treasured traditions of dressing. She translates these inspirations into a signature aesthetic that combines an antique sensibility with a cool contemporary edge, luxury fabrics and hand-crafted appliqués. Celebrity fans of the brand include, Kate Hudson, Mary Kate, Ashley Olsen, Delta Goodrem and Radha Mitchell.
Visit the official Cohen et Sabine website, here.