Dark and Alluring Fashion from Rob Maniscalco
View recent Claude Maus Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the Claude Maus Fashion Label
Originally an artist and graphic designer, Rob Maniscalco used the pseudonym ‘Claude Maus’ for his projects and exhibitions. However in 1999, this pseudonym evolved into a fashion label, which gained the attention of the Australian fashion industry as one of Australia’s most dynamic newcomers, following the debut collection. This instant recognition led to the Claude Maus fashion label winning the Mercedes Fashion Week Start Up Program in 2001, just two years after the brand’s inception.
Claude Maus built on the achievement of 2001, by winning the L’Oreal Designer of the Year Award in both the Womenswear and Menswear categories in 2003. Since then Rob has expanded and evolved his label to include a range of men’s and women’s denim, leather jackets and gothic inspired street wear – all of which can be bought through the Claude Maus flagship that opened in 2007 on Melbourne’s Manchester Lane, as well as through many Australian and international boutiques.
Claude Maus Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 1999: Former artist and graphic designer, Rob Maniscalco launches his fashion label ‘Claude Maus’.
- 2001: Claude Maus increases its brand profile by winning the Mercedes Fashion Week Start Up Program.
- 2003: The brand wins the L’Oreal Designer of the Year Award in both the Womenswear and Menswear categories. Also this year, the Claus Maus brand is the recipient of the Omega Young Designer of the Year Award.
- 2004: The Claude Maus brand goes international with shows during both Londn and Paris fashion Weeks.
- 2007: The Claude Maus fashion label opens their flagship boutique in Melbourne to coincide with Motorola Melbourne Spring Fashion Week. The Manchester Lane boutique is located in a heritage building and is full of vintage style fittings, high ceilings and wooden floors.
- 2010: The Claude Maus fashion label launches it’s denim line ‘Claude Denim’.
Aesthetic of the Claude Maus Brand
The Claude Maus fashion label has become known for its experimentation with rich textures and fabrications, and for consistently challenging the traditional expectations in the use of fabrics, such as leather, suede and fur. Each Claude Maus collection embraces the asymmetrical and unusual and is full of dark, alluring yet wearable styles including the brand staples of leather jackets, skinny trousers, check-shirts and distressed tees.
The inspiration behind the Claude Maus collections are a wide and eclectic mix of of the medieval and contemporary – including influence from all things Gothic, cartoon, fairytale characters, as well as the deconstruction of sportswear and a play on logo.
The Claude Maus aesthetic has gained the brand a strong underground following within Australia and overseas in Europe, Japan, and North America. The cult-like status of Claude Maus is transferred to the music scene, with the likes of Cut Copy, and The Presets evidently supporting the Claude Maus fashion movement.
Visit the official Claude Maus website, here.
Image courtesy of For Tomorrow.