Contemporary Australian Streetwear from Gareth Moody
View recent Chronicles of Never Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Introduction to the Chronicles of Never Fashion Label
“Nothing Lasts Forever” – Gareth Moody
Chronicles of Never Founder, Gareth Moody
Sydney-born Gareth Moody was introduced to the world of fashion through a modelling career in his youth. Spending time in Asia, America and South Africa Gareth became interested in apparel and the fashion industry – particularly the design and creative aspects. With no formal training, Gareth learned through practice with his first partnership and label Tsubi (now Ksubi), founded in 2000 with George Garrow and Dan Single.
In 2005, Gareth decided to part company with Ksubi, and after a journey of self-discovery he founded his androgynous, unisex signature label, ‘Chronicles of Never’. The brand started out as a jewellery label, creating matt and blackened silver and bronze unisex pieces, including rings, pendants, necklaces and earrings. This was because Gareth had a time dependant ‘non–compete’ clause in his contract with Ksubi, limiting his ability to create certain clothing items such as jeans.
Once the restrictions were up, there was no stopping Gareth and the Chronicles of Never. As of 2012, the Chronicles of Never collection has expanded to include menswear, womenswear, jewellery, bespoke leather, eyewear in collaboration with Graz, an a diffusion line of printed tees and denim known as ‘Black Noise White Rain’. The Chronicles of Never Collections are available through some of the world’s finest boutiques, including Brisbane’s Violet Green, Christchurch’s Hub Corp Plume, New York’s Oak, Copenhagen’s Normann, Turin’s Frav, Oslo’s Freudian Kicks, Newcastle’s Trickle, Hong Kong’s Bauhaus and Tokyo’s Royal Flush.
Chronicles of Never: A Timeline Snapshot
- 2000: The founder of Chronicles of Never, Gareth Moody teams up with George Garrow and Dan Single to found renowned Australian brand Ksubi (formerly Tsubi).
- 2002: Ksubi hits the big time with its international debut at Selfridges, having a concession alongside the likes of Stella McCartney, Marc Jacobs and Martin Margiela.
- 2005: Gareth Moody parts company with Ksubi and embarks on what he called “a journey of self-indulgence and self-discovery…travelling around the globe, manifesting stories through experience, for reference in the future and character building for the present.” It was through this journey that Gareth Moody went on to launch his new fashion label, Chronicles of Never.
- 2009: The Chronicles of Never diffusion brand, Black Noise White Rain is launched to introduce the brand to a wider audience.
- 2010: The Chronicles of Never Optics brand is established with collaboration with Graz Eyewear.
- 2011: Chronicles of Never launches its bespoke leather service online, offering 11 different jackets that can be customised to personal preference. Also this year, the brand collaborates with luxury men’s department store Harrolds to create an exclusive collection. The minimalist collection comprises of a range of denim (including two exclusive washes created in partnership with Harrolds Creative Director Chris Kyvetos), as well as basics, t-shirts and shorts. Finally, 2011 sees the unisex label’s first dedicated womenswear line for the Autumn/Winter 2011 season.
Chronicles of Never Collaboration with Luxury Menswear Boutique, Harrolds.
Aesthetic of the Chronicles of Never Fashion Label
Gareth has a highly personal element to his work – his designs that are essentially an extension of himself. Focusing upon structure, the Chronicles of Never collections have a unique androgynous signature aesthetic. Gareth chooses to work with natural materials such as, linen’s, silks and cottons, as they tend to translate best to his creative vision. Materials are sourced from all over the world, but the brand designs and develops everything in Australia, where possible.
Future of the Chronicles of Never Brand
In the future expect to further international expansion of this conceptual Australian brand, which has been difficult in recent times due to the strength of the Australian dollar. Additionally, as a lover of the planet (the label already supports Greenpeace) all fabrics used by Chronicles of Never are 100% natural, with Gareth hoping to incorporate organic and sustainable textiles in the near future.
Visit the official Chronicles of Never Website, here.