Womenswear from Siblings Camilla Freeman-Topper and Marc Freeman
View recent Camilla and Marc Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog
Siblings, Camilla Freeman-Topper and Marc Freeman joined forces in 2003 to launch their namesake womenswear label ‘camilla and marc‘ that has continued to build upon its sterling reputation after a critically acclaimed debut at Australian Fashion Week that same year. Camilla – who handles the design side of the business – studied at Sydney’s prestigious Whitehouse Institute of Design and was awarded a post-graduate scholarship at the Accademia Italian Arte Moda in Florence. Marc – who handles the business side of the brand – trained as an engineer before teaming up with his sister.
In 2004, following their successful debut at Australian Fashion Week, the brand made history when it became the first ever label to be selected by an Australian department store to add to their brand profile, within their first twelve months – retail giant Myer did the honours, with the likes of Selfridges of London soon following.
With the patronage of some of the world’s finest boutiques came recognition from the fashion press, with the Camilla and Marc brand becoming a regular editorial feature in the likes of InStyle, Grazia, Marie Claire, Madison, Vogue Australia and Harpers Baazar. With the backing of the fashion press the brother and sister label began its meteoric rise to the top of the Australian fashion industry, as well as increasing its presence in the international market.
As of 2012, the womenswear fashion label has expanded to include the womenswear mainline, a swimwear line (C&M camilla and marc), and a small collection of denim essentials. The brand’s collections are stocked through two flagship stores, and selected boutiques throughout Australia, as well as through international stockists including Saks Fifth Avenue, Intermix and Net-A-Porter.
Camilla and Marc Fashion Label: Important Dates
- 2003: The ‘camilla and marc’ fashion label is launched at Australian Fashion Week, with a debut collection, entitled ‘A Warm Summer’s Afternoon’, that was immediately picked up by Myer and Selfridges of London.
- 2004: The Camilla and Marc fashion label makes history, when it becomes the first ever label to be picked up by an Australian department store within their first year – Australian retail giant Myer did the honours.
- 2007: The fashion label launched ‘C&M camilla and marc’ – a feminine and wearable swimwear line to compliment the mainline collection. The swimwear range combines classic styles, flattering shapes and graphic prints, making it an international success, which sells out each season. Also this year, the brand receives the huge honour of opening Australian Fashion Week, as well as featuring on the cover of one one the world’s most influential fashion publication, Women’s Wear Daily.
- 2009: The Camilla and Marc fashion label opens its flagship store in Sydney’s Paddington – the Parisian-style boutique features polished cement floors and brass fittings that perfectly represents the brand’s aesthetic. Also this year, Camilla and Marc collaborative with high-street label, ‘Portmans’ to create a Spring Racing capsule collection of eight dresses and two jackets.
- 2010: The Camilla and Marc brand defects from Myer, in favour of fellow Australian department store giant, David Jones.
- 2011: Camilla and Marc launch their Melbourne flagship boutique – three times larger than their Sydney flagship, the Armadale-based store features a rotating display of art and collaborative projects. Also this year, cosmetics brand Lancome Paris collaborate with Camilla and Marc on a limited edition beauty bag, complete with summer make-up essentials.
- 2012: In August the womenswear brand launched their sister line, C&M Camilla and Marc to accompany their luxury mainline collection. A more youthful and affordable range, the debut collection, entitled ‘Coachella Valley’ is a contemporary, casual take on the label’s signature feminine aesthetic and features vibrant prints (including a fantastic leopard, breezy lace dresses, high-waisted knicker shorts, classic cigarette pants and gorgeous colour-blocked silks. All the pieces have been designed to be wearable and versatile – prices will range between $90 – $320.
C&M Camilla and Marc debut collection August 2012
Camilla and Marc Brand Aesthetic
The Camilla and Marc signature aesthetic features clean tailoring, contemporary silhouettes and luxe fabrications. With fabrics forming the starting point of each collection, the brand has earned a reputation for creating seasonal ranges that are strong, yet feminine and tailored, yet effortlessly elegant. It is this signature aesthetic that has attracted the patronage of many a stylish celebrity including, Kate Bosworth, Kirsten Dunst, Abbie Cornish, Kristen Stewart, Sophie Monk, Lindsay Lohan, Jennifer Lopez and Rose Byrne.
Visit the official Camilla and Marc website, here.