Womens Designer Clothing & Fashion Accessories
View recent Bettina Liano Collections on Australian Fashion Review Blog.
Introduction to the Bettina Liano Fashion Label
Australia’s queen of jeans, ‘Bettina Liano‘ launched her namesake womenswear fashion label with a small selection of jersey dresses. But, it wasn’t her dresses that was to put her on the fashion map, it was her jeans. Her exquisitely tailored jeans celebrated and enhanced the female form yet never stretching out of shape – her original jean aptly titled ‘True Bootleg’ is still one of her biggest selling items to this day.
Soon her designer collections were regular editorial features in the likes of Cosmopolitan, Cleo and Australian Vogue. This media exposure unfortunately led to fake and copycat Bettina Liano clothes to appear on the market, which led to Bettina being a figurehead in the movement of designer copyrighting their designs.
Despite the copycats, the Bettina Liano brand went from strength to strength, showing their seasonal collections multiple times each year in catwalk presentations throughout the globe including New York Fashion Week, and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in Sydney and Melbourne. The brand began it’s expansion across Australia, with the launch of several standalone boutiques and the release of two diffusion lines: a jean line for the more curvaceous woman, entitled ‘Curvy’, and a diffusion line, ‘T by Bettina Liano’, exclusively for Australian department store giant, Myer.
It hasn’t all been smooth sailing for the Bettina Liano brand, in July of 2011 the iconic womenswear label was placed in voluntary administration, owing banking firm ANZ $4.3 million, unsecured creditors over $2 million and the Australian Taxation Office $650,000. Luckily for the brand, in August of 2011, Administrators Ferrier Hodgson accepted a Deed of Arrangement (DOCA) from Bettina Liano which, is a document that records the terms of restructuring a company, completing the process of voluntary administration.
As a result of the DOCA, all the secured creditors and landlords of the continuing stores were to be paid in full, with unsecured creditors likely to receive an estimated 9.6 cents in the dollar. Through the DOCA, the brand is handed back to Bettina and the six remaining stand alone boutiques will continue to trade.
As of 2012, the Bettina Liano fashion label had 5 standalone stores in Australia, as well as being stocked in prestigious boutiques throughout Australia, including Myer department stores. Additionally, the brand is continuing to pick up a number of international stockist, including in New Zealand and Indonesia.
Bettina Liano Fashion Label: Key Dates
- 1984: Australian designer ‘Bettina Liano’launches her namesake womenswear fashion label.
- 1990: The first standalone Bettina Liano boutique opens on Melbourne’s Chapel Street
- 2001: The Bettina Liano fashion label continues with it’s expansion with the opening of a standalone boutique in Sydney’s Strand Arcade.
- 2006: As part of a revitalisation of the brand, a Bettina Liano flagship store is launched in the prestigious Chadstone Shopping Centre.
- 2008: The Bettina Liano brand teams up with Australian cosmetics brand ‘Bloom’ to develop to nail varnish shades, neon coral orange and bold grape purple, to complement the Spring/Summer 2008-2009 collection.
- 2009: Bettina Liano launches their new jean line entitled ‘Curvy’, which is aimed at the more curvaceous woman an is available in sizes 8-16.
- 2010: The brand’s diffusion line ‘T by Bettina Liano’ is launched exclusively for Australian department store giant Myer. The line features the same fashion forward statement that you’d expect from Bettina Liano, but with a more affordable and accessible price.
- 2011: In July, the Bettina Liano fashion label is placed into voluntary administration, with administrators Ferrier Hodgson partners John Lindholm and Brendan Richards stating that they “will look at the potential to restructure the company and get it back on track.” Thankfully, a company restructure was agreed in August, which saw Bettina back at the helm of her namesake label.
Aesthetic of the Bettina Liano Brand
Bettina Liano’s artistically driven collections have established her as an international fashion house and an acclaimed brand of the highest standard. The signature Bettina Liano tailoring creates silhouettes that accentuate the female form – stretched, cut, pieced, and sewn together, her creations bring into prominence the contours of the human body; the silhouette of a woman. Celebrity fans of the brand includeCourtney Love, Paris Hilton, Elle McPherson, Liz Hurley and Kylie Minogue.
Visit the official Bettina Liano website, here.